After each mud run or obstacle race I compete in, you'll get my review and grades for each event to help you decide which ones you might want to sign up for. The following categories will be discussed:

1. COURSE- the design, venue, and setup of the race itself- how creative/ adventurous/ difficult the obstacles were, and obviously... how was the MUD?!?

2. FESTIVAL- all the fun beyond the actual race- the social atmosphere which usually includes food, beer garden, dj/ music/ concert, contests, vendors, and more during the after-party

3. SWAG- the included goodie bag and prizes up for grabs- all the "free" stuff that comes with price of entry and the quality of awards, shirts, and other giveaways

Feel free to use the search box to read up on any past topics you might be looking for.

RUGGED MANIAC, Brooklyn NY, 6/27/15

Hello. My name is Kevin (aka Mudman), and I am... an OCR addict.  I am ashamed of something I did today, and I can now admit I need help. This morning, I decided to ignore my mistakes of the past, fueled by my need to race, and ran my third Rugged Maniac event held at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn NY.  I regret not going back to re-read those Mudman Report's from 2011 and 2013 on this same race, which could have potentially shifted this pattern of addiction.  I cannot undo what has happened now, but I will hopefully learn from this very poor decision and try to move on with my obstacle racing career, along with the help of my friends...

1. COURSE-   There were several things that brought me back to run this event, besides just being a race "addict" with no other events planned for the weekend:  a) it was local enough with only a half hour drive on the Belt Parkway;  b) I had a free entry from a friend's transfer- they definitely made the smart choice, if they didn't know already; c) my curiosity to see if their "Shark Tank" investment may have just possibly turned this awful race around.  So it's been two years since I was here, and I know I had pledged not to return, but what's done is done.  And what was done regarding the improvement of this race course, was just about NOTHING!  It is just a terrible location to have any adventure type race, unless you like running endlessly up and down flat boring paved airfield runways.  So what was done with Mark Cuban's massive $1.75M influx- more and better obstacles?  They list a total of 25 on this 3 mile course map, but even if there were that many (and it seemed doubtful), none but really the final three-story climb/slide was worth talking about.  The obstacles were so spread out you almost forget it was an OCR, and the poor excuse or two for mud were just some hosed down dirt sections.  Every task was short and simple, with even first timers joking about how easy this was.  If you've ever done another OCR somewhere else before, my advice would be to avoid the letdown and not come out to do one of these.  And so let me tell you one more thing that is finally DONE: me, doing this race, ever again.  This time, fo' realz!  GRADE = D

2. FESTIVAL-  Every event that visits this venue must have the same cookie-cutter festival area allowance.  It's actually not a terrible set up if you just want to drink and get your cornhole game on, but the separate gated off area makes you feel like you are in a time-out from the other action.  Unless certain rules of this park are preventing a more spread out design, I don't see why they want to segregate the party from the rest of the race scene.  It's just about impossible to be part of both at the same time, which kills the spectating aspect.  If they do improve anything on that front here, I'll be telling you from some other event I've signed up for at Floyd Bennett Field, but even that's not too likely.  Hasta la vista, Brooklyn.  GRADE = C

3. SWAG-  If there is any glimmer of a single shining moment, and maybe this becomes their Shark Tank legacy (?), they did make one improvement by now offering finisher medals, and decent ones at that. But that's really where the excitement ends.  Timing chips now are an extra $10 charge if you want to be recorded, but the branded shoelace tie chip is somewhat of a unique soiuvenir (not worth ten bucks, but still).  The t-shirt is really just breaking even on their past swag.  I'm showing the back because the front is just plain with their "I am a Rugged Maniac" phrase.  And due to all that you've read in this Report, I can say I wont be: a) wearing this shirt; and b) ever be calling myself a Rugged Maniac.  GRADE = B


OVERALL GRADE = C