After each mud run or obstacle race I compete in, you'll get my review and grades for each event to help you decide which ones you might want to sign up for. The following categories will be discussed:

1. COURSE- the design, venue, and setup of the race itself- how creative/ adventurous/ difficult the obstacles were, and obviously... how was the MUD?!?

2. FESTIVAL- all the fun beyond the actual race- the social atmosphere which usually includes food, beer garden, dj/ music/ concert, contests, vendors, and more during the after-party

3. SWAG- the included goodie bag and prizes up for grabs- all the "free" stuff that comes with price of entry and the quality of awards, shirts, and other giveaways

Feel free to use the search box to read up on any past topics you might be looking for.

CIVILIAN MILITARY COMBINE, USS Intrepid NYC, 4/6/13

This year's first "CMC Guest Blog" comes from one of my best friends and frequent training partners, a fellow Long Islander and avid racer, and the owner of obstaclecoursetraining.com... Rob DeCillis.  I was glad he accepted the invite, as he has quite a few OCRs under his belt in the last several years, and has a great perspective on the quality of these events. Last year's event at Camelback PA was incredible, so it was thrilling to see the new stuff in store for 2013.  This was Rob's first CMC, and he was just as excited to do this writeup as he was to enter the Combine.  I thank Rob for the time he put into it, and hope everyone enjoys the Report!

"When asked by the Mudman himself to write a review of the Civilian Military Combine at the Intrepid, I of course jumped at the chance, especially since he convinced me just two weeks prior to the race to join in on the fun. I've done my fair share of mud runs but this would be my first CMC..."

1. COURSE- Let’s start off with exactly how the race begins, the "Pit", which consisted of three exercises each done for seven repetitions for seven straight minutes. It was scored based on how many reps you were able to do. Never really practicing this workout, I chalked up the hands, smacked myself in the face Dan Gable style, and went after it. Seven Push Presses, Seven American Kettlebell Swings and Seven Burpee up-and-over Box Jumps... on paper not too bad, but in reality pretty damn intense. I was getting after it then I hit the wall, I even ended up doing extra burpees at times because I could not hear my judge telling me I was done. Once done with the Pit it was on to the obstacle course. The course was short but that was expected due to the venue, however having repetitive obstacles did get a little boring. My favorites were the very loose cargo net, and of course the prowler push.  Grade = A

2. FESTIVAL- Usually not one to hang out at the post party, I did for a while at this event. There were a few booths with different vendors selling but that was really it. No food, unless you actually went into the Intrepid itself but at New York City prices who really wants a bagel or muffin. The only cool part was hanging out on such a historic museum. Not much else to say about the lack of festivities. Grade = B
(Mudman note: an afterparty was hosted offsite at an across the street bar/bowling alley shortly after the race, since I'm assuming there were restrictions to having public outdoor drinking in NYC or at the Intrepid museum grounds)

3. SWAG- At the finish line I got a draw string bag, with a CMC wrist band, a dog tag medal, and a tee-shirt. I like the dog tag medal, especially the inscription on the back, but I was really impressed with the quality of the tee-shirt. The shirts are designed by Muzzlejab and are very soft and fit very comfortably. Could be one of my favorite racing tee-shirts I have received in the last two years. One thing they could have added was a Scooby Snack for all the effort in the race. Grade = A

(Photo provided by Mudman, reverse of commemorative tshirt [sold at race] with finisher medal and top 3 awards.  No Scooby Snacks available at time of photo).


OVERALL GRADE = A